The Volunteer Resources Department is committed to the development, implementation and maintenance of exceptional volunteer programs that support and assist patients and visitors of Guelph General Hospital, while providing a rewarding experience for the volunteer.
The mission, vision, values and policies of Guelph General Hospital guide all planning organizing, directing, supervising, and evaluating of volunteer programs.
Our department is the liaison and works in co-operation with the Volunteer Association’s Board of Directors.
Key Volunteer Services
- Recruitment, selection, orientation, training, placement, evaluation and record keeping for all volunteer positions in the hospital
- Ongoing support and recognition of over 300 volunteers
- Education and awareness of volunteer programs in the hospital
- Research, development and implementation of new volunteer programs that support the mission and vision of the hospital, while assisting staff, patients and visitors
- Supporting the Volunteer Association Board of Directors and the Retail Manager
The Guelph General Hospital Volunteer Association
All GGH volunteers are members of The Guelph General Hospital Volunteer Association which celebrated its 121st anniversary in 2018. The Volunteer Association is Incorporated and operates three revenue producing services. Proceeds from the revenues generated from these services are donated to the Foundation of Guelph General Hospital for the purchase of patient equipment.
Over the years, revenues from the business have allowed the Volunteer Association to donate well over $1.4 million for the hospital. Their most recent contribution was $39,100.
The Volunteer Association has an employee who oversees the revenue services. Volunteers commit to weekly shifts to ensure the services are available to patients, staff and visitors.
The GGH Volunteer Association:
- Provides Angel Pins for each patient upon completion of their Chemotherapy Treatment
- Provides afghans for patients in many areas of the hospital (ie: chemotherapy, palliative, dialysis etc.)
- Has donated over $1.4 million to the Foundation
- Is responsible to organize the vendors who visit the hospital (i.e.: uniforms, jewellery)
- Provides a $500 bursary to the highest academic average nursing student each year at Conestoga College/McMaster University
The Courtyard Boutique
The Boutique is located on Level 1 of the hospital. Products for sale include baby items, flowers, toiletries, clothing, jewellery and gifts. The Boutique is open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Weekends from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
H.E.L.P.P. Lottery (Hospital Equipment Lottery Program for People)
Break open tickets are sold on level 3 of the hospital. This service is available Monday – Friday from 10 am – 2 pm.
Vendors pay a fee to the Volunteer Association to sell their products in the hospital. For more information about Vendor Program opportunities or to request a Vendor Application Package, please contact the Retail Manager, Therese Dennique at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-837-6440 x 2660.