Two weeks prior to your appointment or surgical procedure
For your health and the safety of staff, we want to ensure you minimize your chance of getting COVID-19 in the time leading up to your surgery/procedure. If you must leave your house please wear a mask, wash your hands often and practice physical distancing from others. For tips please visit the Public Health Unit website – www.wdgpublichealth.ca.
Monitor Your Symptoms – ask yourself, daily, how do I feel?
Symptoms of COVID-19 are: fever, decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell, new or worsening cough, vomiting, shortness of breath, diarrhea, sore throat, runny nose or nasal congestion, difficulty swallowing, fatigue, muscle aches, pink eye (conjunctivitis).
Immediately notify your surgeon if you, or anyone in your house, feel any of the above symptoms or are diagnosed with COVID-19. Please know that your surgery could be cancelled any time prior to your scheduled appointment if you are ill or experiencing symptoms.
72 hours prior to your preoperative appointment or surgical procedure
You will be phoned 1-3 days in advance of your preoperative appointment and/or surgical procedure. We will be asking you about symptoms you may have related to COVID-19, your travel history and if you have had contact with anyone known to have COVID-19.
Day of Procedure:
- Plan to have a support person to drop you off at the hospital main entrance
- Here you will be greeted by a staff member who will screen you for COVID-19 and provide you with a mask that you must wear
- Bring minimal belongings and leave valuables at home
- Please have available the name and phone number of the caregiver picking you up after your
- surgery/procedure – this person must be readily available to pick you up after being called (within a half-hour)
- Please note you will be asked COVID-19 screening questions by your physician office before your appointment and the day you arrive for your appointment
Our visitor policy continues to change along with the pandemic. For the most current information, please refer to Visitor Information.