We are looking for individuals who feel things could have been done better when accessing care at GGH for themselves or their family members or have ideas for improvement even if they had a positive experience. We are looking for individuals who want to share their ideas on how we can improve the patient and family experience throughout the organization in all areas.
It partners with staff on a wide range of short to long-term activities from those at the organizational level such as strategic planning to program specific to ensure the patient/family are at the centre of what we do.
- Share their stories (both positive and areas for improvement) for the purpose of promoting and enhancing patient-centred care;
- Work as a team to identify and implement ways of improving the care experience for all patients and families
- Ensure the patient perspective is reflected in hospital policies and procedures
- Review patient materials for different programs
- Collaborate on quality improvement initiatives
- Must be 18 or older
- Have accessed services at GGH within the last three years either as a patient or a primary caregiver/family member to a patient
- Have the ability to share insights and information about your experiences in ways that others can learn from
- Possess strong communication skills
- Be able to work collaboratively with other patients, families and health care providers
- Be committed to helping bring about meaningful change
- Have the ability to see beyond your own personal experiences and see the bigger picture
- Be respectful of others and respect the perspectives of others
- Have the ability to speak comfortably in a group
- Have the ability to maintain the privacy of patient and organizational information
- Commitment is either for a two or three-year term
- Completion of an online (or paper-based) orientation session
- Ensure all necessary immunizations are up-to-date as per GGH Policy. Our Volunteer Services will help you with this.
- Attend monthly meetings up to nine times a year, typically advisors volunteer 2-4 hours a month
- Respond to queries between meetings as appropriate
- Participate on sub-committees and task groups as necessary
- Comply with GGH’s policies regarding privacy and confidentiality
- Selected applicants will attend a short interview and must provide references
- Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check, including vulnerable sector
Advisors receive general orientation to the hospital and specific information/training on particular areas and operations as needed.
Specific orientation on the role of a Patient and Family Advisory Council member and expectations of that role e.g. understanding hospital terminology etc.
Some examples may include parking, food, signage, waiting rooms, patient feedback, patient education, policies etc.