GUELPH, ON, Dec. 15, 2020– In consultation with Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health, Guelph General Hospital declared a COVID-19 outbreak on its 4 East unit after three patients tested positive. Currently, no staff associated with the outbreak area have tested positive.
Some of the enhanced measures being taken include:
- Closing the unit to new admissions except COVID+ patients
- Droplet precautions are in effect for all patients on the entire unit
- Care Partner visits are temporarily suspended to the unit with the exception of visits with palliative patients and for those visits deemed essential by the unit care team. Our Care Partner visiting policy remains in effect on other units.
- Our Patient Relations department will help organize telephone and virtual visits for patients and families.
- Enhanced cleaning continues in the entire unit including frequent cleaning of high touch and high traffic areas
Members of the public should not feel the need to call the hospital, but if you have concerns and wish to speak to someone, Patient Relations is available at 519 837-6440 ext. 2815. “For those patients who tested positive, we wish them a speedy recovery,” said Marianne Walker, President and CEO. “Our ongoing priority is to ensure the safety of patients and staff who have worked diligently to limit the spread of COVID-19 during this challenging time of significant community spread. We are greatly concerned about the surge of COVID-19 in our community and ask everyone do their part to reduce community spread especially during the holiday season.”