- Posting #:
- Clinical Externs (Student)-TPT (June-August 2021 with potential for extension) (Multiple positions)
- Professional Practice
- Temporary Part Time (TPT)
- Current Shifts:
- All - 12hr & 8hr Shifts
- Current Rate of Pay:
- Min $20 - Max $20
- Posting Date:
- May 12, 2021 @ 12:00PM
- Closing Date:
- May 19, 2021 @ 12:00PM
The Clinical Extern (Student) is an unregulated care provider who provides support services to the nursing staff by assisting with patient care which may include patient hygiene, toileting, meal assistance, mobilization (including turning and positioning), call bell response and safety checks, documenting as required, patient assessment (pain, activity, fall risk) and taking vital signs.
This position may also include answering phones, stocking supplies, transporting patients, cleaning and maintaining equipment both in the department and hospital wide.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Externs need to be students in the following types and stages of their education:
- BScN or BN 2nd to 4th year student
- PN final year student
- BCLS certified
- Demonstrated knowledge of WHMIS, Emergency Codes and Privacy Legislation
- Completion or willingness to complete the Smart Moves Program
- Experience working in a busy hospital environment and with following universal precautions
- Students who have successfully completed a recent clinical (acute care) placement preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work and exercise judgement independently, as well as to take direction and work collaboratively within a team in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Physically capable of maneuvering and pushing stretchers with patients
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service when interacting with patients, families, colleagues and physicians
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Working knowledge of Meditech an asset
All positions at GGH contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
GGH is committed to fostering a safe and healthy work environment which provides equal opportunities to people with disabilities.
In pursuit of GGH’s vision of exceptional care, innovative partnerships and healthier communities, all employees are responsible for practicing the values of teamwork, respect, accountability, compassion to provide the highest quality care and experience for patients and their families.