You must be 15 years old to volunteer in the Courtyard Boutique and the In-Patient Visiting Program. You must be 18 years old to volunteer in any other volunteer position.
- Able to start anytime: Applications are accepted anytime and interviews and training are ongoing.
- Sept-April: University or College students who are only in Guelph from Sept-April will have the opportunity to attend an in-person interview until June 30. Training will begin the 2nd week of September.
- Sept-June: High school students will have the opportunity to attend an in- person interview until June 30. Training will begin the 2nd week of September.
- May-August: Applications are accepted between Jan 1- March 1. All steps of the volunteer process must be completed by April 15. Training will occur the last two weeks of April with shifts starting the first week of May.
- July - August: Applications are accepted between Jan 1 - March 31. All steps of the volunteer process must be completed by June 1. Training will be in June with shifts starting the first week of July.
Administrative Volunteer Opportunities
Provide administrative support for non-union staff. Examples of work may include special projects, mailings, display boards etc. Computer skills are beneficial for these roles. Administrative Support typically Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - noon or 1-4 p.m.
Patient Care Opportunities
All of our patient care volunteer opportunities have been developed to provide non-medical support for patients and visitors to help ease the anxiety of a hospital visit.
Greeting and Providing Information - Areas and available shifts
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - noon; noon - 2 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Greet everyone entering the CT scan. Provide directions to change rooms. Hand out forms for patients to read.
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.; 11:30- a.m. - 2:30 p.m.; and 2:30 - 4:30p.m.
Greet everyone entering the Diagnostic Imaging registration area. Escort patients to the specific waiting room at the direction of staff.
Main Lobby Greeter:
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - noon.
Greet everyone entering the hospital and provide directions, wheelchairs and parking information as requested. Assist with flow of patients registering in Ambulatory Care. Accompany patients and visitors to locations within the hospital as necessary.
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - noon and noon - 3 p.m.
Greet everyone arriving in Pre-operative Registration. Provide information and directions as required.
Monday - Friday; 9 a.m. - noon and noon - 3 p.m.
Provide non-medical support to patients and visitors before and after the surgical process. Escort patients to vehicle after discharge.
Monday - Sunday; 7 - 10 a.m., 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 - 4 p.m., 4 - 7:30 p.m. and 7:30 - 11 p.m.
Greet everyone arriving in the Emergency Department and provide general information and directions. Volunteers escort visitors to see patients in the Emergency Department as appropriate. Provide non-medical support to patients at the request of staff.
Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP):
Monday - Sunday; 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 - 4 p.m., and 4 - 7 p.m.
Volunteers create a friendly environment for patients enrolled in the HELP program by providing support, encouragement and companionship. HELP Volunteers provide specific assistance in five volunteer interventions. This is a highly structured program using the services of selected volunteers who are trained and supported by the Elder Life Specialist.
Patient Visiting Program:
Monday - Friday; 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. and Sat - Sun; 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Provide a social visit for patients; assist with opening items at mealtimes as requested.
Proceeds from the gift shop and lottery tickets are donated to the Foundation for the purchase of patient equipment.
Monday – Thursday; 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 - 4 p.m., 4 - 6:30 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 1 - 4 p.m., 4 - 6 p.m., 6 - 8 p.m., Sat. - Sun. 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 2 - 5 p.m.
Greet everyone arriving in the Gift Shop. Sell and replenish supplies. Provide general information and directions to patients and visitors.
Hospital Equipment Lottery Program For People (H.E.L.P.P.):
Monday – Friday; 10 a.m. – noon, noon - 2 p.m. and 2 - 4 p.m.
Sell break-open lottery tickets to support the purchase of patient care equipment. Provide general information and directions to patients and visitors.