At its annual volunteer appreciation luncheon to mark National Volunteer Week, Guelph General Hospital named its Mary Hales “Volunteer of the Year.” This year’s winner was Judy Steele.
|Judy Steele (centre) is this year's Volunteer of the Year. Presenting her award was Laura Hutchings, Director of Volunteer Resources, Student Registration & Spiritual Care (left) and Theresa Dennique, Manager of the Courtyard Boutique.|
Judy has been a volunteer at GGH since 2002 and to date has over 3,600 recorded volunteer hours. Judy used to volunteer in the coffee shop. Currently, she volunteers in the Courtyard Boutique and provides behind-the-scenes support for The Foundation of Guelph General Hospital.
The Guelph General Hospital Volunteer Association goes back over 121 years and is constantly expanding. Currently, there are over 300 volunteers who provide support throughout the hospital. GGH volunteers contribute in excess of 15,500 hours of service each year.
The majority of the money the association raises is through the Courtyard Boutique, H.E.L.P.P Lottery and Vendor program with proceeds going back to the hospital to purchase patient equipment.
Did you know, the Volunteer Association:
- Provides Angel Pins for each patient upon completion of their Chemotherapy Treatment
- Provides afghans for patients in many areas of the hospital (i.e. chemotherapy, palliative, dialysis etc.).
- Donated $39,100 in 2018 to update a medical unit patient/visitor lounge; to upgrade a Fracture Table to improve better positioning and safety for those having surgery for hip fractures and purchased a Capnography Machine which tracks the CO2 during exhaling to allow evaluation of a patient’s ventilatory status post-surgery
- Has donated over $1.4 million to the Foundation.
- Gives a $500 bursary to the 4th year Nursing Student from McMaster/Conestoga College from Guelph Wellington with the highest Grade point average.
“Thank you to all of our volunteers for their dedication and contribution to GGH over the past year!” says Laura Hutchings, Director of Volunteer Resources, Student Registration & Spiritual Care. “We couldn’t do it without you!”