Volunteer Services at Guelph General Hospital
Over 200 volunteers provide the personal services for our patients and their families in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Our volunteers contribute in excess of 20,000 hours of service each year and are our most valuable resource!
Volunteer Services is the point of entry for anyone interested in volunteering at GGH.
Key services we provide are:
- Recruitment, selection, training, placement, evaluation and record keeping of all volunteers in over 24 areas of the hospital (retail, administration and patient care)
- Ongoing support and recognition of volunteers
- Education and awareness of volunteer programs in the hospital
- Research, development and implementation of new volunteer programs that support and assist patients/families/visitors
- Support for the Volunteer Association Board of Directors and the Courtyard Boutique
The Guelph General Hospital Volunteer Association
The Volunteer Association goes back over 100 years and is constantly expanding. The Association is incorporated, has it’s own board of directors and is the employer of a paid retail manager. The majority of the money that the association raises is through the Courtyard Boutique with proceeds going back to the hospital to purchase patient equipment.
Did you know, the Volunteer Association:
- Provides Angel Pins for each patient upon completion of their Chemotherapy Treatment
- Provides afghans for patients in many areas of the hospital (i.e. chemotherapy, palliative, dialysis etc.)
- Purchased new Christmas trees and decorations for all patient care areas of the hospital
- Decorates all Christmas trees every year
- Has donated over 1.4 million dollars to the Foundation
- Is responsible to organize the vendors who visit the hospital (i.e. uniforms, jewellery)
GGH Volunteer Association Mission Statement:
Guelph General Hospital Volunteers are dedicated to patient-centred care by providing non-medical support and services for patients, staff, and visitors in a positive environment. We will ensure all of our activities and interactions are done with a spirit of compassion, cooperation, teamwork and respect.
We will be recognized as people helping people, making a difference to those around us.