April 18– At its annual volunteer appreciation luncheon to mark National Volunteer Week, Guelph General Hospital named its Mary Hales “Volunteer of the Year.” This year’s winner was Eleanor Harrison.
|(l-r) Marianne Walker, GGH President and CEO, Eleanor Harrison, Dianne Steinke, Volunteer Association President|
Eleanor has been a volunteer at GGH since the spring of 1999 and to date has over 2,800 recorded volunteer hours. She was on the Volunteer Association Board of Directors as Co-President and Past President from 2010-2014. Currently, Eleanor volunteers with the Look Good Feel Better program, the Hospital Equipment Lottery Project for the People (HELPP) and in Diagnostic Imaging.
The Guelph General Hospital Volunteer Association goes back over 118 years and is constantly expanding. Currently, it has over 260 volunteers who provide support for 14 services throughout the hospital. Its volunteers contribute in excess of 16,000 hours of service each year.
The majority of the money the association raises is through the Courtyard Boutique, HELPP Lottery and Vendor program with proceeds going back to the hospital to purchase patient equipment.
Did you know, the Volunteer Association:
- Provides Angel Pins for each patient upon completion of their Chemotherapy Treatment
- Provides afghans for patients in many areas of the hospital (i.e. chemotherapy, palliative, dialysis etc.).
- Donated $27,500 in 2015 to the Foundation to purchase a Transport Ventilator for Critical Care/Respirator Therapy and a Cardiac Probe for the Emergency Department.
- Purchased new Christmas trees and decorations for all patient care areas of the hospital.
- Has donated over $1.4 million to the Foundation.
- Gives a $500 bursary to the 4th year Nursing Student from McMaster/Conestoga College from Guelph Wellington with the highest Grade point average.
“Thank you to all of our volunteers for their dedication and contribution to GGH over the past year!” says Laura Hutchings, Director of Volunteer Services.“We couldn’t do it without you!”