A Brief History of Guelph General Hospital
1875 - Original hospital opened - a two-storey building with 12 beds. The original steward and nurses of the hospital had a farm on the property that produced and supplied the patients with eggs, milk, vegetables, meat, etc.
1888 - The Jubilee Wing was completed at a cost of $9,869.
1897 - The Albert Wing was opened. The hospital had capacity for 90 patients, a new Operating Room - considered one of the best in the province - and even elevators! Ladies Auxiliary formed - this is the current Volunteer Association.
1906 - Nurses' residence built. The school of nursing was organized in 1888 and today there are 1,200 graduates from the school - 700 are still alive!
1911 - New, larger nurses' residence built - current Family and Children's Services building. The original nurses' residence was moved to 63 Derry Street.
1912 - An Isolation Hospital was built - current Delhi Street Recreation Centre.
1951 - A new hospital was constructed adjacent to the old hospital, consisting of the current North and East Wings.
1957 - The old hospital was demolished and a new nurses' residence built on its site.
1970 - West Wing completed.
1997 - Groundbreaking for construction of a renovated and expanded Guelph General Hospital resulting in a 330,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility. The cost was $76.4 million, $50.7 million from the provincial government and $25.7 million from the City of Guelph and County of Wellington.
1999 - One hundred and thirty-five thousand square feet of new construction completed. Many high-tech departments move into their new space, and renovation of the North Wing begins.
2000 - Complete renovation of North and East wings.
2001- The West Wing renovation completed followed by the transfer and consolidation of acute care services from St. Joseph's Hospital and Home into the new Guelph General Hospital.
2005 – GGH one of only four hospitals in the province to be designated “High Performing” by the Ontario Hospital Association
2006 - GGH one of five Ontario hospitals to be honoured with the Ontario Hospital Association’s Healthy Hospital Innovators Award
2007 – Guelph’s first MRI is installed at the Hospital
2008 – GGH named as lead hospital for a new Regional Vascular Services program
2009 – Hospital designated one of four Bariatric Centres of Excellence by the Province of Ontario
2009 - The Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario selected GGH to be one of its “Spotlight” organizations that will implement a number of best practice guidelines during a three-year partnership
2009 - The team of Hospitalist physicians wins the Canadian Society of Hospital Medicine Award for Clinical Excellence for 2009
2010 – Smoking banned on Hospital property
2012 - New operating room opens that is specifically designed to perform minimally invasive vascular surgery
2012 – GGH wins the “Patient Experience” award as a Leading Practice. The award is given to a hospital or organization that demonstrates “examples of patient-centred care across the continuum”
2013 – GGH Accredited with Exemplary Standing
2014 - GGH to be the home of expanded emergency and acute services to treat stroke patients
2015 - GGH removes traditional visiting hour restrictions
2016 - Nuclear Medicine services now offered
- New Breast Assessment Clinic significantly reduces time spent waiting for a diagnosis
2017 – GGH receives the top award, Accredited with Exemplary Standing, for the second time in a row